Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cherry Limeade Sugar Cookies





Time to get back on track after a week of
distraction and chaos.
Not overwhelming chaos but enough to make
a difference in my otherwise quiet little life.
But lets give this chaos an official title,
Captain Chaos, aka "the husband".

Its not him... its me.
I REALLY like my life to have order, and I
 am okay with the disorder that my kids bring
to the everyday. But the MAN is something else.

Its not his fault
Its his job that takes him away for
long durations of time.
I am sure there are lots of other wives
who's husbands are also
CIA Agents that know what I am talking about...

JOKING

No he is not a spy... though that would be
S>E>X>Y>

Regardless of his occupation, when he
does finally make it home it takes a few
days to get into a domestic routine.
And the trouble is he KNOWS that I bake and blog.
So its hard to pretend that I am a moron in the kitchen.


Funny thing is that I do quite a lot of baking
when he is home but have no time to blog it.
I am lucky if I get a chance to photograph any of
it before its devoured by the male beasts
that roam my house.


Fortunately I was able to bake AND photograph
these fun cookies in between baking pies,
cinnamon buns, coffee cake and of course the
gazillion loads of laundry that kept
birthing out of the laundry basket.


So enough about me, lets get on with
COOKIES.









Cherry Limeade Sugar Cookies


3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pack cherry Kool-aid ( unsweetened )
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


In stand mixer combine butter and sugars.
Beat until light and fluffy.
Add kool-aid, vanilla and eggs.
Mix well then add flour, baking powder and salt
Mix until all combined.

Divide dough into two 8 x 2 inch logs.
Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 F
Line cookie sheet with parchment

Remove cookie logs from refrigerator.
Cut into 1/2 inch slices.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes
Remove from oven and cool on cookie rack.


Limeade Frosting


1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 pack lime Kool-aid
3-4 tablespoon milk
maraschino cherries with stems


Beat butter, icing sugar, kool-aid and milk
together until frosting is fluffy. Adding more
milk if needed.

Frost cooled cookies using a piping bag or just spread
frosting on top of cookies. Complete with cherries on top
of each cookie.

Pink sprinkles would be good too.

:))















16 comments:

  1. This is darling and sounds delicious! Would you let me feature this on my blog? I will link back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love them. Most recipes I find online the frosting is horrible, but this came out just perfect! Some of the prettiest cookies I've made

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noticed (too late) that this recipe leaves out what to do with the tsp of vanilla.

    I guess it goes in with the kool-aid and eggs, but I guess I'm going to find out what they taste like without the vanilla...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missed the vanilla too. :( Hope they turn out good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure? You sure it doesn't say it on the third line of this instruction?

    In stand mixer combine butter and sugars.
    Beat until light and fluffy.
    Add kool-aid, vanilla and eggs.
    Mix well then add flour, baking powder and salt
    Mix until all combined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the lime kool-aid for the frosting supposed sweetened or unsweetened?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unsweetened kool aid. There is enough icing sugar to keep the balance. Use less to begin with if you are concerned of it being too tart. You can always add more. :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you! Can you tell me how many cookie to expect from 1 batch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these tonight and got 28 out of the recipe. They are adorable and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Used packaged sugar cookie mix..combined the koolaid with the softened butter..instead of vanilla, I used butter flavoring so that they taste like cherry shortbread cookies...Yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found this on Pinterest today, can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do you get lime KoolAid? My stores only carry lemon-lime packets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what is sugar icing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. I checked my recipe for any typo errors but can't see " sugar icing " It should only be sugar and icing sugar.

      Delete
  13. what is icing sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Icing sugar is the same as confection sugar :)

    ReplyDelete